Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How long does it take for a contested delinquency to come off?

I had a delinquency put on my credit report for an unpaid bill 3 yeas ago that i never knew about. They never mailed me a bill, just turned it over to a collection agent who supposedly sent me a letter to an old address, but I never got it. The original company had my cell phone#, but no one ever called.



Anyway, I found out when I applied for a loan and was denied. Contested it with the cred report company, and got a letter about 2 months later saying it had been removed. I have limited credit monitoring through a credit card (WaMu/Providian) that is still showing a delinquency?



They had originally reported to just one company, can the others pick it up from the original report? I am going to wait another month and order another 3 in 1, I am just wondering if I should order one now to check it out, I don't want to waste $40 if it is just a matter of time.



How long does it take for a contested delinquency to come off?

I think they are legally required to remove it within 30 days of finding out that it was inaccurate.



But I know (from experience) that the credit monitoring is more delayed than you would normally expect - I had the same thing happen with my husband's report when items were deleted.



Your idea to wait 1 month is good (it should definitly be removed by then). But, have you pulled your credit reports off of annualcreditreport.com yet? You are entitled to 3 free reports per year (1 per bureau) - you won't get your credit score, but you'll be able to see if the items are removed or not if you haven't done so. This site is set up because of the government - as long as you order directly from this site there is NO CHARGE for the report (they do offer to let you buy the score's for $7.95 each)



How long does it take for a contested delinquency to come off?

When you dispute a debt on your credit you need to contact all 3 major credit bureaus and file individual disputes with each bureau. After the credit bureau receives the dispute they get with the company that placed the debt on your report . This company has 30 days to prove the debt is valid if they do not the credit bureau removes it.



The contact information is:



1) Equifax 800-685-1111



2)Experian 888-397-3742



3) Trans Union 800-916-8800



I know it is a hassle but you need to contact these 3 bureaus to start the dispute process. Good Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment