Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Is Master's in Education necessary?

I have a bachelor's in business and a master's degree in MIS from a top 50 university. I also have 10 years of experience teaching languages - mostly on a part-time basis. I've been planning to open my own language school for a while, but sometimes I feel I should get a master's degree in Education before establishing this business. I'm planning on applying to an ivy league school, but I'm torn between doing this, which will inevitably add college loans to my finances, or getting a small business loan and start my business. Obviously, the EdM has many advantages, but is it necessary or worth it? I need opinions. Thanks!



Is Master's in Education necessary?

In my opinion with your past history another master's degree is overkill. I would suggest a few education courses to cover such things as the various learning styles and the seven types of intelligences. I am speaking from 34 years of experience in public education and a masters degree with a 2nd masters to be completed in the next few months. The 2nd is really only for my own personal satisfaction.



Is Master's in Education necessary?

It really depends on which state you are in. I know of no states that require an Master's in Education to be hired. Some may require one by a certain number of years. These would definately be int the minority. It is possible that you may be able to start teaching at a higher paygrade based off of your industry experience.



Whether it is required to teach in general - absolutely not. Recent studies have shown almost no difference between the teachers who have them and the teachers that don't based off of student test scores on standardized tests.



Is Master's in Education necessary?

It would be more beneficial for you and your business if you taught for a year in a classroom rather than getting your Masters in Education.



Is Master's in Education necessary?

At most, many teaching positions will require you to be certified in the area in which you plan to teach. I have a Master's in Education (MEd), but I am not certified in anything. I also have a Bachelor's in Business. In the long-run, I believe that certification and experience will trump the actual degree. Having both will propel your teaching career. Since you are planning to open your own school, I believe that you should begin this process while looking at certification options before beginning an additional Masters. Also, currently, I am working on my PhD in Curriculum and Instruction. Maybe the PhD could be an option for you if you are at all interested in a university career. I too would like to open my own learning center. Good Luck in your endeavors!



Is Master's in Education necessary?

word of mouth and success with actual students will get you more business than a degree on your wall. You already have the experience. put it to use!~



Is Master's in Education necessary?

i have one and yeah, it's important. however, not so important is where you get it. you don't need to drop all that money on an %26quot;ivy league%26quot; school when you can get a very solid education at a state school. remember, it's the INFO that's valuable...not what the diploma says.

No comments:

Post a Comment